Note: To slice the zucchini thin and uniformly, we recommend using a mandoline.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic knots, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound ground meat (like beef, pork, or dark-meat chicken)
- seasonings (salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, Italian seasoning), to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded cheeses (a combo of gouda, mozzarella, and parmesan works well)
- basil, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. While the oven is coming to temperature, prep the veggies.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat, then drizzle in olive oil. Add onion, garlic, carrot, and tomato. Cook until caramelized and softened.
- Heat another pan, and brown your meat of choice. Season it to taste. Combine the vegetables with the meat, and simmer on low with the spaghetti sauce. Season to your liking.
- Add a spoonful of the sauce to the bottom of a small, square casserole dish creating a base for layering. Then add the sliced zucchini noodles, meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, allowing the cheese to get bubbly good with a slight crust on top.
- Garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy!