Meet the Team
Pictured from left to right Tanisha Gray-Pate (Store Manager), Jim Hill (Co-Owner), Jennifer Hill (Co-Owner)
- Why retail? My parents went into retail when I was just 13 so I basically grew up in the industry. My Dad was probably the biggest influence in my decision to follow in a person’s footsteps because he instilled in me only the love of being self-employed, but most importantly the love of people and helping people - thank you Dad!
- What else do you do? Besides greeting and helping people, I get to do one of my TWO favorite things - SHOP and DECORATE!
- Greatest skill. I love to host and entertain!
- Favorite foods - Chocolate: Is there anything else (maybe potato chips). Least favorite: Liver (don’t think I need to add anything).
- How did I come to live/work in Boston? Left Switzerland (jobless) to move to Boston in 2004 where I had the great fortune to meet a good friend who became my original business partner (Mark Duffield) in Blackstone’s April of 2006 and well, the rest is history!
- What do I read? Lots but very slowly… I am avid Stephen King fame but am known to try a good recommendation! One of my local favs is Elin Hilderbrand!
- What do I NOT read? The financial news. I leave that to my husband Jim!
- If I had to choose one cuisine for the rest of my life; That’s a tough question....I love French, Italian, Swiss, American, Polish, Asian, Mexican… I love food! Do I have to choose?
- I want to do more - Travel. Hike. Cooking. See my friends in Switzerland again...
- If I could start over again at 18, I would …….. Become a nurse
- Why retail? Why not? “Do what you love & you’ll never work another day in your life!”
- What else do you do? I collect knives (lots of knives - no really A LOT of knives - I have over 60). I’m also your local whetstone sharpening instructor. Have a burning knife or kitchen question? I’m your woman!
- Greatest skill. Singing & conflict resolution (I like to think of myself as a peacekeeper)
- Favorite foods - Anything I can hunt (Alligator, Duck, Geese, Chicken...the list goes on) but I’m also a sucker for pizza!
- Who's your favorite celebrity chef? Gordon Ramsey (he’s handsome, funny and brutally honest...what’s not to love)
- What do I read? Sci-Fi, historical fiction and manga (anime in book form). I’m a big nerd at heart!
- If you had to have a tattoo, what would it be and where? I have 10 currently (stop by the store to see them all - they are pretty cool if I do say so myself) but I would love to get a cooking related one. Something involving a Kikuichi knife!
- If I had to choose one cuisine for the rest of my life.Italian or Jamaican
- I want to do more - food traveling - I want to travel the world and try as much international street food as I can.
- If I could start over again at 18, I would…….. Run a non profit (one that supplies families below the poverty line with housing & food)
- Why retail? Love people, all kinds from everywhere and every day is different. There is always someone new to talk with and many friends and neighbors to keep up with.
- What else do you do? I sharpen knives for KitchenWares, tens of thousands so far, so I’ve had a lot of practice and just a few serious cuts - no stitches though.
- Greatest skill. I am a pretty good problem solver. Not higher maths, just everyday business and life stuff.
- Favorite foods - Animal proteins: Beef, pork, fish/seafood and chicken in that order. Then cheeses, even the really stinky ones. Least favorite: Eggplant in any form.
- How did I come to live/work in Boston? Left the drugs (pharmaceuticals) business after 25 years and moved (jobless) to Boston in 2004. Went to work for Merrill Lynch as a Financial Advisor, then came our retail stores.
- What do I read? National / international and financial news plus a few books, mostly financial, history and biography. I read at night, around 3 - 4am. Very peaceful with no interuptions!
- What do I NOT read? The sports page or tabloids.
- If I had to choose one cuisine for the rest of my life; Italian, with wine and my favorite vegetable - french fries - on the side.
- I want to do more - physically active traveling, both US and international. Life outdoors is better.
- If I could start over again at 18, I would …….. Become a doctor